Internet Explorer 7 annoyances on Vista:
- You can't add to the two default toolbar rows: This problem
affects functionality that many people use many times a day. For
example, if you want
to use the Google toolbar instead of Microsoft's search control, you need to
dedicate a third toolbar row to the Google toolbar because IE7 doesn't allow
you to move anything to the first two rows of toolbars. This is a
bother because the Word Find feature of the Google toolbar gives one-click
searching on a Web page, and the less versatile word find functionality in
Microsoft's search control takes 4 clicks.
- Sending an email with the URL of the current page is inconvenient:
Sending a URL is one of the most common actions that people do while
browsing. Using IE7 this takes two clicks, versus one click on IE6. Furthermore, the
current Web page won't close until the email is sent or closed.
- Copying text using "Ctrl C" often fails: Copying text from
by right clicking and selecting Copy works, consistently, but there are
instances in which the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl C" doesn't work. Here
is a case that reproduces the problem consistently on Vista:
- Open IE7 to
- From the Page button choose "Send Link by E-mail", which on my
system opens a new Windows Mail message.
- Select a paragraph in the CNN article using the mouse and type "Ctrl
- Paste into the email message using either right click Paste or "Ctrl
The selected paragraph doesn't get pasted; the clipboard has its previous
contents. Surprisingly, if a new email message is created by the
"Create Mail" button in Windows Mail, pasting works fine.
- FIXED: Clicking an external hyperlink replaces an open browser page:
If you have turned off tabs and click a hyperlink in an external program
such as an email or a Microsoft Word document and a browser window is
already open the external hyperlink uses the existing browser window and
replaces the current browser content. This can be a nuisance since it
can wipe out existing material. To fix this, go to "Tools | Internet
Options | Advanced tab | Browsing section" and remove the check from the
item "Reuse windows for launching shortcuts (when tabbed browsing is off)"
Firefox 3 annoyances on Vista: none
- FIXED: In Firefox 2 on Vista there was no good TabletPC Input Panel
support: GeckoTIP doesn't work
on Vista and
Gesso doesn't work on Firefox 2.
- FIXED: Firefox 2 had a bothersome shortcut bug: The bug,
its triggers and a bothersome registry workaround are described at
Segal. Thanks to Tom Porterfield and Jim Chen for help on workarounds and
fixes. If you have workarounds, fixes or more annoyances to add please
let us know. See also
Vista Annoyances and
Windows Live Mail Undermines